[gnutls-dev] Fedora gnutls-1.0.20-5.src.rpm

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Jan 24 17:18:26 CET 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 08:39, Albert Chin wrote:
> The latest development RPM from Fedora for gnutls-1.0.20 does not
> contain the SRP authentication code because of the following Changelog
> entry:
>   * Tue Sep  7 2004 Jeff Johnson <jbj at redhat.com> 1.0.20-2
>   - patent tainted SRP code removed.
> Is this correct? If so, should SRP be disabled from gnutls?
According to SRP's author, the only patent of SRP is the one of Stanford's,
and this is available royalty free. Nobody else have claimed patents on SRP.
The only statements i've seen are of the kind "we may hold a patent on SRP"
by companies holding patents on competitive technologies. In my opinion their
patents affect SRP the same way the MP3 patent affects OGG. It would be
a shame to drop SRP support, especially when nobody has actually claimed
to hold a patent affecting SRP.

--
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos