[gnutls-dev] Fixing OpenPGP keyring import

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Apr 18 14:42:20 CEST 2007

Timo Schulz <twoaday at gmx.net> writes:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>

>> Yeah, I'd go with 2) or
>>
>> 3) Create cdk_keydb_new_base64 that works like cdk_keydb_new but takes
>> a text keydb.
>
> I've to admit that I did not look in the code for a lot of time (gnutls
> openpgp). If the code uses a buffer and thus CDK_DBTYPE_DATA, it is true
> that no base64 decoding is done. I guess the best solution is to add
> this feature to the keydb.c code. This would not break any existing
> interfaces. I will do it and backport the changes to 0.5.13.
> Is this ok for you?

Maybe you could post the patch?  I think it would be fine.

>> Timo's recent work break the API/ABI though, so I'm not sure how soon
>> GnuTLS will start to use the new OpenCDK APIs, or how the migration
>> will happen.  We'll probably should discuss that here.
>
> Actually not that much changed and most of the changes were for other
> operations (bulk encryption, ...). I know it's bad to break existing
> API's but it needed to be done eventually and I thought sooner would
> be better.
>

> But I've agree that we should discuss how to do the migration. On the
> other hand it's a lot of work to backport patches or to merge them with
> HEAD. Plus I fixed a lot of minor problems and mem leaks and thus I
> think it would be a good idea to start the migration soon as possible.
> Of course it's up to you to decide this, but this is my suggestion.

Yes, I agree that gnutls should use your opencdk.  Maybe you could
summarize your changes?

Also, I don't think I will have time to develop the patches for gnutls
required to do this, so I'm hoping that you will take the lead on that
and propose some patches for gnutls.

Thanks,
Simon