GPLv3 (was: [gnutls-dev] GnuTLS 2.1.7)

Andreas Metzler ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org
Sat Dec 15 20:04:06 CET 2007

On 2007-11-29 Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
[...]
> We are considering to use the GPLv3 instead of GPLv2 for everything
> except the core library, and I'd like to invite comments about this.
[...]

I know this is a litle bit late. I have gone over Debian/main eyeing
packages depending on libgnutls13 and checking whether they link
against libgnutls-extra or libgnutls-openssl.

Most of the packages listing GPLv2 as license seem to be false
positives or a least unclear (freewheeling, gkrellm, kildclient,
sipsak). ssmtp is also in the unclear camp. lynx seems to be the only
package that actually will lose its SSL functionality, since it is
GPLv2.

Please note that that I have not checked whether license conflicts of
this form would exist

program links against libgnutls-extra or libgnutls-openssl.
program also links agains libfoo, and libfoo is not GPLv3 compatible.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'