[gnutls-dev] Guile problems in 1.7.12

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Jun 29 23:35:22 CEST 2007

ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> I re-read the automake manual on this, and it says:
>>
>> `maude_LIBADD'
>
> [...]
>
>> `maude_LDADD'
>
> [...]
>
>> This suggests to me that we shouldn't use LDFLAGS at all for any -lguile
>> -L/usr/local/lib stuff, and I installed the following patch.
>
> The quoted part of the manual does not mention the `maude_LDFLAGS'
> variable.  I was suggesting in <874pldi4l3.fsf at chbouib.org> to use
> `_LDFLAGS', not `_LIBADD' nor `_LDADD'.

I read this quoted part

     `_LDADD' and `_LIBADD' are inappropriate for passing
     program-specific linker flags (except for `-l', `-L', `-dlopen'
     and `-dlpreopen').  Use the `_LDFLAGS' variable for this purpose.

to imply that -l and -L flags are suitable to use in _LIBADD, and are
unsuitable for use in _LDFLAGS.  It isn't really clearly expressed
though.

> But using `_LDFLAGS' might be nicer...  :-)

Perhaps this could be clarified in the automake/libtool manual...

/Simon