2.6.x goals?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jun 18 18:52:38 CEST 2008

On Wed 2008-06-18 12:07:13 -0400, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Btw, my goals for 2.5.x is to integrate Nikos' crypto.h stuff, and
> to re-indent the code.  As far as I know, there are no other tasks
> that are pending, or are there?  Anything major to be included
> should be made available on a separate branch for review relatively
> soon, or it will have to wait for 2.7.x.

I have three OpenPGP-related goals i'd like to see met for 2.6:

 * the ability to deal with passphrase-encrypted OpenPGP keys.

 * the ability to verify a specific UserID in an OpenPGP certificate
   without reference to any other UserIDs in the certificate.

 * the ability to create new OpenPGP keys (e.g. with certtool) and to
   add UserIDs and subkeys.

I don't know if these are already part of the MPI rewrite that you
mention: are the details for that documented someplace?

I'd be happy to contribute toward this as well, if i can find the time
and can figure it out.  I don't want to step on any toes, though, and
i don't want to create a lot of extra work if there are larger-scale
rewrites of the relevant sections going on concurrently.  Any thoughts
on how i should approach this?

I'd also be interested in developing the more-compact OpenPGP function
space that was just discussed on this list.  Guidance as to how to do
that cleanly would be appreciated.

Regards,

        --dkg