benchmarking mod_gnutls vs mod_ssl

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Mar 12 10:58:00 CET 2008

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> writes:
>
>> On Sat,  8 Mar 2008 12:41, nmav at gnutls.org said:
>>
>>> So it seems libgcrypt is quite optimized in amd64... However there
>>
>> Right, we have new optimized code for amd64 but the plain ia32 code is
>> pretty old and it might even be that the generic C implementation is
>> faster.
>
> Is that optimized MPI code?  Or AES?  I'll see if I can test with
> --disable-asm in a live test.  We should also test non-RSA and non-AES
> to see if we can pin-point what is slow.

I've added 3DES comparisons to:

http://trac.gnutls.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/BenchmarkingModGnuTLSResults

3DES    mod_ssl small file: 310.78 trans/sec
3DES mod_gnutls small file: 154.77 trans/sec

3DES    mod_ssl large file: 7.25 trans/sec
3DES mod_gnutls large file: 5.75 trans/sec

Rather consistent with earlier ia32 results.  It is clear that 3DES is
quite slow on large data sizes.  AES-128 results:

AES    mod_ssl large file: 28.11 trans/sec
AES mod_gnutls large file: 15.25 trans/sec

For some reason I didn't get the DHE-DSS tests to work.  Perhaps I need
a DSA certificate.

/Simon