[gnutls-devel] Problems compiling from git on Mac OS X

Alfredo Pironti alfredo.pironti at inria.fr
Mon Dec 10 14:44:35 CET 2012

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile GnuTLS on Mac OS X 10.7.5 (with gcc toolchain
installed via standard XCode) by cloning from git, and I get some
errors, both in the master branch, and in the 3.1.5 tag. However, I
can successfully compile, install and run GnuTLS if I start from the
released 3.1.5 tarball.

More details follow:
- Issue: The new clone command "git clone
git at gitorious.org:gnutls/
gnutls.git" suggested on the website does not
work (Permission denied (publickey).)
- Fix: the command "git clone git://gitorious.org/gnutls/gnutls.git"
worked for me.

- Issue: make bootstrap does not accept configure parameters (e.g.
--with-libnettle-prefix, which is essential in my environment.)
- Local fix: either alter cfg.mk to add the flag; or run configure
manually. Maybe on the website we could instruct the user to run "make
autoreconf" and then configure manually?

- Issue (minor): when generating manages, "echo -n" is used in the
makefile, but -n appears not to be in the "Single Unix Specification",
so it display lines beginning with -n (and linefeed terminated) on Mac
OS X. I found some info at
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071106192548833
- Fix: use the printf cited in the link? Or just leave things as they
are, because they work after all?

- Issue (major): In file ecore_time.c, lines 47, 130, 132,137:
references to undeclared '_ecore_time_clock_id', 'CLOCK_MONOTONIC',
'CLOCK_REALTIME'
These defines are known to be missing on Mac OS X. With the tarball,
(manpages and) this file don't get compiled, so compilation does not
fail overall. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for this.

Best,
Alfredo