[gnutls-devel] Problems compiling from git on Mac OS X

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Dec 10 22:17:07 CET 2012

Alfredo Pironti <alfredo.pironti at inria.fr> writes:

> - Issue: make bootstrap does not accept configure parameters (e.g.
> --with-libnettle-prefix, which is essential in my environment.)

It should, try 'make bootstrap ADDFLAGS=--with-libnettle-prefix=/foo/bar'.

> - Issue (minor): when generating manages, "echo -n" is used in the
> makefile, but -n appears not to be in the "Single Unix Specification",
> so it display lines beginning with -n (and linefeed terminated) on Mac
> OS X. I found some info at
> http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071106192548833

It should use something like $(ECHO_N) instead.  In which file is this?

> - Fix: use the printf cited in the link? Or just leave things as they
> are, because they work after all?

If 'echo -n' does something different on Mac, does it really work?  It
probably won't produce the exact same man pages, which seems like a bad
thing.  So we should probably fix this.

> - Issue (major): In file ecore_time.c, lines 47, 130, 132,137:
> references to undeclared '_ecore_time_clock_id', 'CLOCK_MONOTONIC',
> 'CLOCK_REALTIME'

Ecore is only used for self tests, so it could safely be ignored.
However there is probably some gnulib module that could be used to deal
with clock stuff.

> These defines are known to be missing on Mac OS X. With the tarball,
> (manpages and) this file don't get compiled, so compilation does not
> fail overall. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for this.

Does 'make check' work for you?

/Simon