[gnutls-devel] Problems compiling from git on Mac OS X

Alfredo Pironti alfredo.pironti at inria.fr
Tue Dec 11 11:38:12 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
> Alfredo Pironti <alfredo.pironti at inria.fr> writes:
>
>> - Issue: make bootstrap does not accept configure parameters (e.g.
>> --with-libnettle-prefix, which is essential in my environment.)
>
> It should, try 'make bootstrap ADDFLAGS=--with-libnettle-prefix=/foo/bar'.

Yes, this also works. Just some documentation in the webpage should do.

>> - Issue (minor): when generating manages, "echo -n" is used in the
>> makefile, but -n appears not to be in the "Single Unix Specification",
>> so it display lines beginning with -n (and linefeed terminated) on Mac
>> OS X. I found some info at
>> http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071106192548833
>
> It should use something like $(ECHO_N) instead.  In which file is this?

It's doc/manpages/Makefile.am

>> - Fix: use the printf cited in the link? Or just leave things as they
>> are, because they work after all?
>
> If 'echo -n' does something different on Mac, does it really work?  It
> probably won't produce the exact same man pages, which seems like a bad
> thing.  So we should probably fix this.

I think these echo instances are mostly used to report status to the
user (most of them print dots). So, instead of a line of growing dots,
I get many lines of "-n ."; just annoying (if at all), but not
crucial.

>> - Issue (major): In file ecore_time.c, lines 47, 130, 132,137:
>> references to undeclared '_ecore_time_clock_id', 'CLOCK_MONOTONIC',
>> 'CLOCK_REALTIME'
>
> Ecore is only used for self tests, so it could safely be ignored.
> However there is probably some gnulib module that could be used to deal
> with clock stuff.

OK, I'll locally disable these tests, until a portable library is used
(or the current one is configured, if possible)

>> These defines are known to be missing on Mac OS X. With the tarball,
>> (manpages and) this file don't get compiled, so compilation does not
>> fail overall. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for this.
>
> Does 'make check' work for you?

It works on the distributed tarball, because the tests/suite tests are
not run; it fails on the git clone, because these tests are enabled.

Alfredo