[sr #107948] DTLS handshake deadlocks on packet loss

anonymous INVALID.NOREPLY at gnu.org
Wed Feb 8 15:49:43 CET 2012

Follow-up Comment #6, sr #107948 (project gnutls):

GnuTLS does behave better now, but unfortunately, there are still problems:

* losing any, but not all, of ServerHello, ServerKeyExchange, ServerHelloDone,
deadlocks the handshake for blocking sessions.
* losing all of them sometimes deadlocks the handshake for nonblocking
sessions. The server drops retransmitted ClientHello, instead of
retransmitting it's own flight, in maybe half the cases. In the other half,
everything works out fine. Blocking sessions never retransmit, and this
deadlock. This seems strange, but I cant find errors in my test program.
* losing any, but not all, of the server's ChangeCipherSpec, Finished causes
deadlocks for all sessions. No retransmission is done by the client when a
duplicated handshake message from the next epoch is received.

I must admit that this is getting academic. Also, maybe I'm reading the DTLS
RFC incorrectly.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107948>