[gnutls-devel] Nettle 3.0 merges count_high/count_low into 64-bit count in many cases

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Jun 9 17:20:46 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM,  <jpbion at jfwest.com> wrote:
> Nikos -
> Thank you for the reply. I am quite surprised at the choices of the Nettle
> team. The projects in the GNU tool-chain should be friends, and I cannot
> imagine a more important client of Nettle's then GNUTLS. To go and remove
> compatibility with prior versions, and not even coordinate it with their
> most important client just seems to be a poor decision from the Nettle team,
> at least in my opinion.

Well, there has been quite some feedback provided by me in nettle, so
I don't think that there is no co-ordination. While we strive for
stable APIs, there are often inefficiencies in designs that need now
and then to be dropped (and that's what Niels is doing in nettle 3.0).
I can certainly understand that (although I may not like it). We will
eventually use it in gnutls, but that would be after 3.3 is declared
as stable (on the 3.4 branch, hopefully with the new chacha cipher).