[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Add CI tarball build (!809)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Sat Nov 24 16:14:06 CET 2018

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos commented on a discussion on .gitlab-ci.yml:

>  Debian.cross.aarch64-linux-gnu:
>    <<: *Debian_cross_template
> +
> +# Test building from tarball in a non-dev environment
> +Tarball:
> +  stage: stage2-tarball
> +  image: $CI_REGISTRY/$BUILD_IMAGES_PROJECT:$ALPINE_BASE_BUILD

The multiple stage build was used initially in gnutls (you can see how if you go back the history of .gitlab-ci.yml), but it was way to inefficient, and results from CI took several hours to finish. When the shared CI runners of gitlab became enough to afford parallelization I switched the CI to a single stage which dropped the run to ~1 hour.

I think we are handling quite a number of separate pieces in this MR:
 1. elimination of bashisms; this is orthogonal to alpine as it affects freebsd and debian as well
 2. addition of alpine linux (with musl) to CI
 3. testing of `make dist` and `make check` on the CI as separate stage (where this discussion about separate stages belongs).

Should we separate them for simplicity? Otherwise it looks like there will a lot of issues to be handled as part of a single MR.