[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Fix linking of libecore.a on Solaris (!773)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Wed Oct 10 10:03:53 CEST 2018

*If* the iconv module still has an issue with Windows, then I would see details and fix it on the gnulib side. But I doubt it, we use the iconv module at wget, wget2, libidn, libidn2 and have no issues on Windows.

Besides that, if the iconv functions are provided by any library (normally libc or -liconv), then no extra code will be put into libgnu.a. If you find a case where this doesn't work as expected, let me know the details or give me a reproducer and I'll try to fix that (preferred at gnulib level). If needed I can access a bare metal Win10 system and would be allowed to install a dev system on it.

I really believe that it's wiser to have the iconv module than to live without it. E.g. on MacOS / OSX you'll likely experience issues without it. The alternative, of course, is to enable that test *only* on defined systems like (a recent enough) Linux, FreeBSD. So only on systems we regularly test.

Another (general) point would be to have an AppVeyor CI for testing on Windows.