[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | consider using an alternative build system (#320)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Mon Dec 30 13:58:05 CET 2019

Xavier Claessens commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/320#note_265854099

I don't know how I got subscribed to this bug, but it's interesting. I'm a meson and glib developer.

It is not true that libpsl needs configure to generate meson.build, they do that only to set the project version to not have to write it in both build systems, as far as I can tell. But it works without running configure too. About the fixme, it's just a possible cleanup, nothing really required.

Glib contains a copy of gnulib and wrote meson.build files for it, so that could be shared with gnutls.

glib-networking uses gnutls, and if it gets ported to meson that would mean we can build gnutls as subproject of glib-networking which makes it a lot easier to bundle that dependency. IMHO that would be a big win for glib.