[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Improving speed of test suite (#674)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Mon Jan 14 12:00:36 CET 2019

New Issue was created.

Issue 674: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/674
Author:    Tim Rühsen
Assignee:

This issue is for discussion on how to improve the speed of the test suite.

The following test have been made on a Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz with `/usr/bin/unbuffer /bin/bash -o pipefail -c "make check -j1"|ts`.

**List of slow tests**

Name | Duration | Reason
--- | --- | ---
tls13/key_update|15s
dtls-rehandshake-anon|61s|Sleep 60
mini-record|6s
record-retvals|5s
dtls-rehandshake-cert|61s|Sleep 60
mini-dtls-hello-verify-48|30s
rng-sigint|5s
rng-op-nonce|8s
rng-op-random|8s
rng-op-key|8s
dtls/dtls|75s
starttls-smtp.sh|43s
starttls-pop3.sh|41s
starttls-sieve.sh|5s
ocsp-tests/ocsp-tls-connection|5s
ocsp-tests/ocsp-must-staple-connection|14s
testpkcs11.sh|9s
cert-tests/provable-dh|8s
cert-tests/provable-privkey-dsa2048|7s
cert-tests/provable-dh-default|5s
cert-tests/dsa|5s
slow/test-hash-large.sh|38s
suite/chain.sh|12s
suite/testcompat-openssl.sh|50s
suite/testrandom.sh|16s
suite/tls-fuzzer/tls-fuzzer-nocert.sh|109s
suite/tls-fuzzer/tls-fuzzer-nocert-tls13.sh|127s
suite/testcompat-tls13-openssl.sh|39s
suite/testdane.sh|15s
suite/prime-check|7s

Maybe that list helps to separate tests into directories/groups that could by run in parallel on different runners, decreasing the total time of our CI. We could use either configure flags or `make check -C ...` to chose the groups to test.

There also might be some tests with optimization potential. At least there are some tests idling / waiting without much CPU consumption.