[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | [OSX, GnuTLS 3.6.15] "sed -i" requires null-length arg. if in-place editing doesn't require a backup file (#1088)

Sun Sep 13 18:23:25 CEST 2020

christian wagner commented:

@dueno. Thanks for looking into this. To answer your question: I used one of the tarballs
(gnutls-3.6.15.tar.xz, more precisely) and you encounter the problem when you execute "make".

One thing which did surprise me is that, despite the ".info" files being already in the "doc"
directory, "make" (or "make install") still seems to try to re-create them.

A note on your comment re. a gnu-compatible sed: First, if such is the case, it should be
mentioned ion the i[config.log](/uploads/739362d53a0e97ae5511510a44b40711/config.log)nstallation guidelines. Second, sed on Mac OSX seems to behave similarly
to sed on the UNIX versions from the BSD family (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc).

I would suggest that asking to install the GNU version of sed to compile GnuTLS's is a bit
far-fetched. Assuming that the ".info" files do have to be recreated on the spot, there
are other ways to figure out whether the "-i" option can be used as per GNU's sed or as per
BSD's sed, I think.

(I attached my "config.log" in case this should prove useful to you.)