[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Indent code? (#1419)

Wed Oct 26 14:28:20 CEST 2022

Simon Josefsson created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1419

GnuTLS code is generally indented well, but this is not enforced and there is a lot of newly added code that is indented differently.  Having a consistent indentation style helps readability and thus maintainability, in my opinion.  Gnulib's maint.mk has rules for both running 'indent' (make indent) and for checking that code is indented (make syntax-check).

What do you think about indenting the code, and enabling 'make syntax-check' to check for this?  Preferably shortly after the 3.8.0 release, I would suggest.

I can prepare a merge request for this, but only if there is agreement that this is a good idea, and also decision on timing when to do it because it affects a lot of files and it will cause conflicts with other merge requests.

The CONTRIBUTING file says to use 'indent -linux', so I suppose this is the style we should mandate?  I prefer regular GNU-style indent though, but would not want to suggest changing anything in this area now.

GnuTLS would have to update to modern gnulib first, though, but this is covered by (stale?) MR !1509.