[gnutls-devel] Guile-GnuTLS | Example Echo Client/Server Contains Removed Functions (#16)

Tue Aug 22 09:52:11 CEST 2023

Simon Josefsson commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/guile/-/issues/16#note_1522342831

Thanks for working on this!

On principle, I think examples should be just that -- example code intended for human readers, and suitable for the manual.  Isn't the only reason you added the automated tag to allow comparison of the strings?  I think it is perfectly fine for an example to also log both strings and finish with a string comparison.  So just remove the automated tag and the conditional if?

I don't think the example code has to be USEFUL as a self-test, the point of running it during the self-test is to make sure that it at least doesn't throw errors or uses unknown functions.  Maybe the conflicting goals is that you are trying to make the example code relevant as a self-test?  It doesn't have to be.

All this said, if you propose a merge request that does something sensible here, I'm happy to merge it even if it results in examples becoming a bit less readable -- that can be fixed later on if anyone agrees with me.