[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | certtool --generate-privkey Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction when needle is built with x86-sha-ni (#1496)

Mon Aug 28 20:24:58 CEST 2023

Niels Möller commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1496#note_1532610347

Thanks for your answers. I'm looking at the x86_64 build.

>From your configure command line, it looks like you disable fat builds (i.e., no runtime auto detection). The only special x86 instructions enabled are for aes (--enable-x86-aesni), and you explicitly disable sha_ni (--disable-x86-sha-ni). I'm a bit confused by that, since your initial report seems to say that sha instructions *are* enabled, via gentoo CPU_FLAGS?

First, can you double check that each gentoo build uses a clean build directory, i.e., either create a fresh build directory for each configuration, or with a make distclean before rerunning configure with different arguments?

If there's some configure bug enabling the wrong code, can you share the configure output, of particular interest are the "Assembly files:" line in the summary, and the list of created symlinks?

Your gdb backtrace could benefit from having debug symbols, but it looks clear that it crashes in _nettle_sha256_compress_n. If you try the gdb "disassemble" command, it should show you which instruction it is running.