[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | gnutls_record_send_file() (non-NULL offset) moves file descriptor offset while sending without KTLS (#1580)

Tue Sep 17 14:20:15 CEST 2024

Alexander Sosedkin commented: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1580#note_2114808201

Hello, could you please be more specific on what properties are you trying to achieve? The issue confuses me.

My understanding is that you pass a single fd to multiple gnutls_record_send_file in a multithreaded scenario.
What is actually written in this case? What's the order? What's your expectation on (not) advancing the fd?
What is it rooted in, does sendfile(2) have guarantees on such multithreaded usage?
Where can I read more about them?

If it's somehow well-defined behaviour and fd should not be advanced,
that sounds like it's gonna be very limiting wrt the gnutls_record_send_file implementation, to say the least.