[Help-gnutls] gnutls_write semantics

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at hellug.gr
Tue Oct 30 00:00:32 CET 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:13:20 -0600 Jon Nelson <jnelson at securepipe.com> wrote:

> I have been looking at using GNUTLS for a personal project,
> and didn't see explicit support for non-blocking I/O until
> 0.2.9 -- however, I read this in the source file and changelogs
> and it disturbs me -- it this statement still valid, and if so,
> will it be fixed (soon)?  Otherwise, using GNUTLS for this
> particular project will have to wait.
>   * If the EINTR is returned by the internal push function (write())
>   * then GNUTLS_E_INTERRUPTED, will be returned. If GNUTLS_E_INTERRUPTED
> or
>   * GNUTLS_E_AGAIN is returned you must call this function again, with the
>   * same (exactly) parameters. Otherwise the write operation will be
>   * corrupted and the connection will be terminated.
This is valid (for gnutls_write() only). This is not a bug.
If a write() is interrupted (eg. may have sent the half of the data), then gnutls
will have to send the rest, or abort. What is the problem in your case with that?

> On a side note: is the a logic behind returning something other than
> (-1,0,>0) in gnutls_{read,write} ?
gnutls_write() returns the data written to the peer. gnutls_read() returns
the data read from the peer. Negative values are error codes.