[Help-gnutls] Error setting the OpenPGP keyring file

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Jun 17 09:06:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 09:57:05PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> I would like to use gnutls with gpg authentication to setup a secure
> channel.
> Im strugling against the learning curve trying to understand the
> implementation of ssl type communictations.
> I thought i could use gnutls-serv and gnutls-cli to test things out,
> however i get errors trying to start the server with various gpg options
> e.g.
> bug1 at home:~$ gnutls-serv --pgpkeyring ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
> Error setting the OpenPGP keyring file
> Echo Server ready. Listening to port '5556'.

You should note that the openpgp support is still of very alpha
quality. Also encrypted stuff are not accepted at all.
I do not remember if keyrings may be encrypted, Timo should know better.

> or
> bug1 at home:~$ gnutls-serv --pgptrustdb ~/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg
> Error setting the OpenPGP keyring file
> Echo Server ready. Listening to port '5556'.

The trustdb file situation is quite different. Only version 3 trustdb
files are currently supported. These are generated by the development version
of gnupg. There was also a bug in the gnutls-serv which did not allow
to specify the trustdb (treated it as a keyring). This is now corrected
in the cvs.

> I dont know if im using them properly.... do you know of any examples of
> using gnutls with gpg for ssl type communications ?

The only examples for now are the ones in the src/openpgp directory.
For cutting edge stuff you'll probably want to follow the cvs instead.

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos
mailto:nmav at gnutls.org