[Help-gnutls] gnutls multi-threaded

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Wed Apr 13 11:06:12 CEST 2005

Hi

(CC'ed to the libcurl mailing list for info)

Reading another thread in the gnutls list, it came to my attention that using
GnuTLS in a multi-threaded environment requires some locking functions to be
set for the underlying crypto lib (libgcrypt).

Is there a descriptive web page anywhere that explains this that I can point
libcurl users to? Many libcurl users run multi-threaded programs and this is
bound to hit the fan as soon as people start trying the GnuTLS-version of
libcurl more. (Which I expect will happen once we release a version with this
ability included.)

I'm considering providing this locking/mutex ability in an API to libcurl, so
that libcurl-using apps can be agnostic to which secure layer libcurl has been
built to use. But I don't know yet if that is feasable.

Is there a good reason why GnuTLS doesn't export such methods by itself? I
mean, isn't it rather ugly to force lib-users to have to assume that GnuTLS
uses libgcrypt?

Or have I misunderstood things?

--
          -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-