[Help-gnutls] Re: 1.2.9 release candidate

Daniel Stenberg daniel at haxx.se
Tue Nov 1 12:07:27 CET 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> My experience has been that it is more reliable to test for features rather
> than version numbers, even if it takes a few more line of codes to do so.

Then we have different views on this.

(The preprocessor check also works on _all_ platforms, and thus isn't limited
to those which can run configure. Possibly this is a moot point in this case,
as possibly GnuTLS doesn't build in such environments?)

> #define GNUTLS_CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FLAGS_LAST 32

> Does this solve your concern?  Did you have a better solution in mind?

That solves it and is perfect. Thanks!

> If you don't want to add specific feature checks, you could always require
> the earliest version of the GnuTLS library that you know support everything
> you need, e.g.:
>
> 	AM_PATH_LIBGNUTLS(1.2.9, starttls=yes, starttls=no)

In my experience, the majority of all users will continue using out-dated
versions (very often they simply remain with the version that comes with their
Linux distro). Setting up strict requirements on "3rd party libraries" will
only cause me grief.

--
          -=- Daniel Stenberg -=- http://daniel.haxx.se -=-