[Help-gnutls] Re: 1.2.9 release candidate

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Tue Nov 1 12:17:48 CET 2005

Daniel Stenberg <daniel at haxx.se> writes:

> (The preprocessor check also works on _all_ platforms, and thus isn't
> limited to those which can run configure. Possibly this is a moot
> point in this case, as possibly GnuTLS doesn't build in such
> environments?)

In theory, it should be possible to build autoconf-based programs even
if you can't run configure or make.  Copy config.h.in to config.h,
manually edit system specific matters, and invoke the compiler and
linker manually.  It is sometimes easier to make autoconf/make work on
the system, though...

>> #define GNUTLS_CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FLAGS_LAST 32
>
>> Does this solve your concern?  Did you have a better solution in mind?
>
> That solves it and is perfect. Thanks!

We discussed this some more, and we'll likely add an OpenSSL-like
version number integer.  If that works, I'll remove this symbol, since
the version number integer is more generic.  And it would be less
maintenance work for us.

>> If you don't want to add specific feature checks, you could always
>> require the earliest version of the GnuTLS library that you know
>> support everything you need, e.g.:
>>
>> 	AM_PATH_LIBGNUTLS(1.2.9, starttls=yes, starttls=no)
>
> In my experience, the majority of all users will continue using
> out-dated versions (very often they simply remain with the version
> that comes with their Linux distro). Setting up strict requirements on
> "3rd party libraries" will only cause me grief.

Right.

Thanks,
Simon