[Help-gnutls] Re: "operation is not possible without initialized secure memory"

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Tue Nov 21 12:50:29 CET 2006

John Brooks <john at yarbbles.com> writes:

> I use GnuTLS in an application (ircd) frequently, and this code has
> been running flawlessly on many systems so far - this particular one,
> it seems to break on, and as far as I can tell that is not the fault
> of the system itself.
>
> When generating DH params (gnutls_dh_params_generate2), I get a
> message printed to stderr and then the application exits (code 2):
>
> operation is not possible without initialized secure memory

That is a libgcrypt error message.  Could it be that you invoke
gnutls_dh_params_generate2 before gnutls_global_init?

Alternatively, it may be that libgcrypt somehow is initialized before
gnutls_global_init is invoked, and then GnuTLS cannot initialize
libgcrypt properly.  Do you link to any other library that may use
libgcrypt?

I wish that libgcrypt were more stateless..