[Help-gnutls] trac.gnutls.org

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg-debian.org at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Apr 8 20:44:47 CEST 2008

On Thu 2008-04-03 06:42:02 -0400, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> We definitely could use help with trac.gnutls.org.  Btw, do you know
> a good way to deal with trac-spam?  Right now I remove it manually
> when I noticed it but that doesn't scale well, and I'm pretty sure I
> fail to catch some spam.

Sigh.  Spammers suck.  I notice that #20 should probably be purged
(not linking to it to avoid inflating the pagerank).  Subscribing to
the timeline RSS is probably a good idea if you want to see everything
that goes through it.

One site that i work with uses the TracSpamFilter plugin [0], and has
the following set in its [components] section of trac.ini:

tracspamfilter.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.adapters.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.admin.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.api.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.filters.akismet.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.filters.extlinks.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.filters.ip_throttle.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.filters.regex.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.filters.session.* = enabled
tracspamfilter.filters.valid_email.* = enabled

It also doesn't allow non-authenticated users to comment (but allows
anyone with an OpenID to authenticate).

> Subscribing gnutls-devel at gnu.org to get updates from the trac site
> would work, unless the emails are completely unreadable.  Do you
> have examples of such e-mails?  How could we set this up?

The e-mails are pretty readable.  A different trac site i maintain has
the smtp_* variables set in the [notification] section [1].  In
particular, if your machine has a functional MTA, you can set:

smtp_server = localhost
smtp_port = 25
smtp_enabled = true
smtp_default_domain = gnutls.org
smtp_always_cc = gnutls-devel at gnu.org
smtp_from = whatever at whatever.domain.you.want

(and make sure that gnutls-devel allows postings from senders set to
whatever smtp_from is set to)

> Do you know a trac hosting site, so that someone else takes care of
> the low-level trac administration?  I'd ideally want to find someone
> else to host or co-maintain trac.gnutls.org because it steals my
> time from more important things.  The reason we aren't using
> savannah for everything is that I need a gnutls-related wiki.
> Savannah doesn't have roadmap or timeline pages either, as far as I
> understand.  And I kind of like the simplicity of the trac
> interface.

Understood.  The trac interface is one of the cleaner ones out there.

I collaborate with May First/People Link [2], which is a membership
organization that assists its members with internet work.  There has
been some discussion at MF/PL recently about making it simpler to
support members' use of trac [3].  If gnutls.org was a member of
MF/PL, it could get the support of that organization, which at the
moment includes trac 0.11b1, fwict.

Alternately, i can take a look at your current trac setup -- i can't
promise to offer long-term support right now, but it looks like an
environment i'm comfortable with, if my snooping is correct: it's
hosted on kniv, which appears (from the ssh greeting string and the
Server: HTTP response headers) to be running debian etch.  If you'd
like me to poke around and see what makes sense, please let me know.

Perhaps most simply, if you want me to help monitor trac.gnutls.org
for spam, i'd just need a trac login with privileges to be able to
delete suspect comments or revert wiki edits.  I dunno how yer giving
those out, but i figure since i'm following the RSS feed anyway, i
could make myself useful if you want me to.

Regards,

        --dkg

[0] http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SpamFilter
[1] http://trac.gnutls.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/TracIni#notification-section