[Help-gnutls] GnuTLS 2.6.5

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sun Apr 12 12:56:33 CEST 2009

We are proud to announce a new stable GnuTLS release: Version 2.6.5.

GnuTLS is a modern C library that implement the standard network
security protocol Transport Layer Security (TLS), for use by network
applications.  GnuTLS is developed for GNU/Linux, but works on many
Unix-like systems and comes with a binary installer for Windows.

The GnuTLS library is distributed under the terms of the GNU Lesser
General Public License version 2.1 (or later).  The "extra" GnuTLS
library (which contains TLS/IA support, LZO compression and Libgcrypt
FIPS-mode handler), the OpenSSL compatibility library, the self tests
and the command line tools are all distributed under the GNU General
Public License version 3.0 (or later).  The manual is distributed under
the GNU Free Documentation License version 1.2 (or later).

The project page of the library is available at:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/

What's New
==========

Version 2.6.5 is a maintenance release on our stable branch.

** libgnutls: Added %SSL3_RECORD_VERSION priority string that allows to
specify the client hello message record version. Used to overcome buggy
TLS servers. Report by Martin von Gagern.

** GnuTLS no longer uses the libtasn1-config script to find libtasn1.
Libtasn1 0.3.4 or later is required.  This is to align with the
upcoming libtasn1 v2.0 release that doesn't have a libtasn1-script.

** API and ABI modifications:
No changes since last version.

Getting the Software
====================

GnuTLS may be downloaded from one of the mirror sites or direct from
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/>.  The list of mirrors can be found at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/download.html>.

Here are the BZIP2 compressed sources (4.9MB):

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2

Here are OpenPGP detached signatures signed using key 0xB565716F:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2.sig
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2.sig

Note, that we don't distribute gzip compressed tarballs.

In order to check that the version of GnuTLS which you are going to
install is an original and unmodified one, you should verify the OpenPGP
signature.  You can use the command

     gpg --verify gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2.sig

This checks whether the signature file matches the source file.  You
should see a message indicating that the signature is good and made by
that signing key.  Make sure that you have the right key, either by
checking the fingerprint of that key with other sources or by checking
that the key has been signed by a trustworthy other key.  The signing
key can be identified with the following information:

pub   1280R/B565716F 2002-05-05 [expires: 2010-02-22]
      Key fingerprint = 0424 D4EE 81A0 E3D1 19C6  F835 EDA2 1E94 B565 716F
uid                  Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org>
uid                  Simon Josefsson <jas at extundo.com>
sub   1280R/4D5D40AE 2002-05-05 [expires: 2009-04-21]

The key is available from:
  http://josefsson.org/key.txt
  dns:b565716f.josefsson.org?TYPE=CERT

Alternatively, after successfully verifying the OpenPGP signature of
this announcement, you could verify that the files match the following
checksum values.  The values are for SHA-1 and SHA-224 respectively:

87d0fd82debee0d644f72fcf404ccd7540c6c71a  gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2

1787a6eee766a8622b1fc5c94ead3394dea70769dca2143a759e6625  gnutls-2.6.5.tar.bz2

Documentation
=============

The manual is available online at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/documentation.html

In particular the following formats are available:

 HTML: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/index.html
 PDF: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/gnutls.pdf

For developers there is a GnuTLS API reference manual formatted using
the GTK-DOC tools:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/reference/gnutls-gnutls.html

Community
=========

If you need help to use GnuTLS, or want to help others, you are invited
to join our help-gnutls mailing list, see:

If you wish to participate in the development of GnuTLS, you are invited
to join our gnutls-dev mailing list, see:

Windows installer
=================

GnuTLS has been ported to the Windows operating system, and a binary
installer is available.  The installer contains DLLs for application
development, manuals, examples, and source code.  The installer uses
libgpg-error v1.7, libgcrypt v1.4.4, libtasn1 v1.8, and GnuTLS v2.6.5.

For more information about GnuTLS for Windows:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/

The Windows binary installer and PGP signature:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.6.5.exe (14MB)
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.6.5.exe.sig

The checksum values for SHA-1 and SHA-224 are:

d50b2b1ede9699f89ffbd1dc43b2656bdfc64d88  gnutls-2.6.5.exe

8603a549ca8d8b8f3b7eaeafedc953d638a45b9772916120b63d73df gnutls-2.6.5.exe

Thanks to Enrico Tassi, we also have mingw32 *.deb's available:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/mingw32-gnutls_2.6.5-1_all.deb

The checksum values for SHA-1 and SHA-224 are:

bac1c1d5873efb8e1c81f2c98a777220bd2e44a2  mingw32-gnutls_2.6.5-1_all.deb

a8470fce811406fe41890f80bc8d1230ba3a56316583a86e287d0bf8  mingw32-gnutls_2.6.5-1_all.deb

Internationalization
====================

GnuTLS messages have been translated into Dutch, French, German,
Malay, Polish, Swedish, and Vietnamese.  We welcome the addition of
more translations.

Support
=======

Improving GnuTLS is costly, but you can help!  We are looking for
organizations that find GnuTLS useful and wish to contribute back.
You can contribute by reporting bugs, improve the software, or donate
money or equipment.

Commercial support contracts for GnuTLS are available, and they help
finance continued maintenance.  Simon Josefsson Datakonsult AB, a
Stockholm based privately held company, is currently funding GnuTLS
maintenance.  We are always looking for interesting development
projects.  See http://josefsson.org/ for more details.

The GnuTLS service directory is available at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/commercial.html

Happy Hacking,
Simon