[Help-gnutls] Simple question about performance

Miroslav Kratochvil exa.exa at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 14:59:53 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I'm thinking about rewriting one my project from OpenSSL to GnuTLS.
The project is a VPN, and as it basically needs only pretty good raw
transfer speed, I began to concern about some rumors that my little
search returned - those were mostly about the GnuTLS is 30-50% slower
than OpenSSL. Most of those posts was around 3-5 years old, though, so
I'm writing here to ask:

a] Is there really such performance gap? (I don't count
recently-discussed TLS handshake problems, I need only raw
crypting/transfer speeds.)
b] Do we have some kind of real benchmark? like "encrypt 50 megs with
RSA: x,y,z seconds for gnutls/openssl/nss/..."

I'm sorry if bringing this topic up isn't needed and I only got
confused by bad google results; but I would really like someone
comment on this.

Thanks
Mirek Kratochvil

PS. the application I'm planning to rewrite is here:
http://exa.czweb.org/?view=cloudvpn