wildcard matching components

Carson Hewitt haloris-tx at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 19:34:19 CEST 2010

Hello,

I was trying to open an audio stream over https using VLC (1.1.3), which bundles
gnutls.

The CA chain verification is fine. Then we get:

gnutls error: Certificate does not match "foo.bar.example.com"

Indeed, the common name of the server certificate is "*.example.com", which does
not match our hostname because of the dot in foo.bar (I don't know if this
behaviour is specified by the protocols implemented by gnutls, or if it's up to
the implementation).

Is there a way to convince gnutls to trust the certificate even if it does not
match the hostname ?

-- Carson