gnutls 2.11.7

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Mar 10 17:31:31 CET 2011

On 10 March 2011 16:24, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 11:40 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> On 03/ 9/11 07:57 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> The GnuTLS 2.11.x branch is NOT what you want for your stable system.
>>> It is intended for developers and experienced users.
>> I just downloaded it to test on OpenSolaris, and noticed this.
>> drkirkby at hawk:~/gnutls-2.11.7$ ./configure --help | grep "GNU ld"
>>   --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld default=no
>>   --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
>> The --with-gnu-ld option is mentioned twice.
>
> It's also in my system. It seems it is because it is defined by
> libtool.m4 and lib-ld.m4... I have no idea on that. Maybe Simon
> could help.
>
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7511
>> I don't know if that issue has been resolved, but I'll try a compile on
>> HP-UX later.
>
> This affects the gnutls-serv program and you shouldn't worry on that
> if you only need the library. Anyway it seems sys_socket.in.h from
> gnulib doesn't define sockaddr_socket for your system.
>
> regards,
> Nikos

Can you tell me what 'gnutls-serv'  is useful for, and how to build
only the library? I'd like to suggest to the Sage developers we don't
build this bit, and whilst I would have no problems gettting others to
agree if I made the change specific to HP-UX (as most don't care about
that platform), I'd have more difficulty if I suggested the change was
made on every platform. But if the file is of no use, and it will save
a few clock cycles and disk space not building it, perhaps I'll
suggest we drop it on all platforms. But I'd need to know a bit about
how useful it is before suggesting we don't build it.

Dave