configure cannot find -lhogweed

snigdhamukherjee at bel.co.in snigdhamukherjee at bel.co.in
Fri Jan 13 09:40:50 CET 2012

Hi all,
I was using gnutls 2.10 and decided to upgrade to
3.0.11 for its DTLS features.
But gnutls 3.0.11 fails to configure on
my RHEL 6.0.

I have installed nettle 2.4 as follows

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-openssl --enable-shared

The nettle shared objects are present in /usr/lib as
libnettle.a
libnettle.so -> libnettle.so.4.3
libnettle.so.4
-> libnettle.so.4.3
libnettle.so.4.3

The config.log for
gnutls gave the following error
configure:8244: checking whether to
use nettle
configure:8247: result: yes
configure:8742: checking
for libnettle
configure:8764: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -g
-O2   conftest.c  /usr/local/lib/libnettle.so -lhogweed
-lgmp -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot
find -lhogweed
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:8764: $? = 1

I checked the system, there is no
hogweed.so or hogweed.a. Then I checked nettle manual,
It says
"Nettle actually consists of two libraries, ‘libnettle’
and ‘libhogweed’. The ‘libhogweed’
library
contains those functions of Nettle that uses bignum operations, and
depends on
the GMP library."

But I downloaded nettle
2.4  from http://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/nettle/ and it contains
bignum.c, etcetera but no hogweed.

How do I compile
gnutls???

Snigdha Mukherjee

Please send mail to @bel.co.in only
Confidentiality Notice
The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this
message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential or privileged information. If  you are not the intended recipient,
 please notify the sender at Bharat Electronics  or support at bel.co.in
immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.