Received corrupted data(-54). Closing the connection.

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Fri Mar 2 22:26:56 CET 2012

On 03/02/2012 10:09 PM, Peter Penzov wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm working on a example with GnuTLS - ex-serv-x509.c. I made a loop
> insight the client which makes a connection with the server and sends 200
> times simple string. The interesting part in when I type Ctrl+C and I kill
> the client I get this error on the server?
>
> [root at localhost test]# ./server
> Server ready. Listening to port '5556'.
>
> - connection from 127.0.0.1, port 41441
> - Handshake was completed
> *** Received corrupted data(-54). Closing the connection.
> Why the server crashes when I kill the client?

This is not a crash. This is an error from your server.
In your case gnutls propagated an error from recv() to
your server. Whether to accept more connections or exit
is up to your application.

In TLS it is recommended to terminate the sessions on
the TLS layer as in:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/Data-transfer-and-termination.html#Data-transfer-and-termination