issues building gnutls from git on Ubuntu 12.04

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Sun May 20 10:00:09 CEST 2012

On Ubuntu 12.04, I'm attempting to build gnutls from git.  I'm on the
head of the gnutls "master" branch, and "git status" shows I have no
files modified, and yet when I do "make bootstrap", autopoint
complains that I have modified files:

ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$ make bootstrap
for f in po/*.po.in; do \
		cp $f `echo $f | sed 's/.in//'`; \
	done
mv build-aux/config.rpath build-aux/config.rpath-
autopoint
autopoint: File ABOUT-NLS has been locally modified.
autopoint: File po/Makefile.in.in has been locally modified.
autopoint: File po/Rules-quot has been locally modified.
autopoint: *** Some files have been locally modified. Not overwriting
them because --force has not been specified. For your convenience, you
find the local modifications in the file '/tmp/gtuXtRkI/autopoint.diff'.
autopoint: *** Stop.
make: *** [autoreconf] Error 1
ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$

 From the message, it sounds like perhaps I should specify "--force",
so I edited the line in cfg.mk that invokes autopoint to invoke it
with "--force".  This seems to fix the problem, although I'm curious
if this is something I should have to do, or if it indicates some
deeper problem.

Anyway, with this change, the "make bootstrap" gets much further, but
eventually fails with:

configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: src/libopts/Makefile.in
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 1

And I'm not sure what to do about that one.  Here are the versions of
various things that I have installed, although they should just be the
standard versions that come with Ubuntu 12.04:

ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68
License GPLv3+/Autoconf: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, <http://gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$ autopoint --version
/usr/bin/autopoint (GNU gettext-tools) 0.18.1
Uses a versions archive in git format.
Copyright (C) 2002-2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Written by Bruno Haible
ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.11.3
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com>
        and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl at gnu.org>.
ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$ autogen --version
autogen (GNU AutoGen) 5.12
ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$

Thanks for any advice!

--Patrick