issues building gnutls from git on Ubuntu 12.04

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun May 20 16:34:58 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Patrick Pelletier
<code at funwithsoftware.org> wrote:
> On Ubuntu 12.04, I'm attempting to build gnutls from git.  I'm on the head
> of the gnutls "master" branch, and "git status" shows I have no files
> modified, and yet when I do "make bootstrap", autopoint complains that I
> have modified files:
>
> ppelletier at patrick64:~/src/gnutls$ make bootstrap
> for f in po/*.po.in; do \
>                cp $f `echo $f | sed 's/.in//'`; \
>        done
> mv build-aux/config.rpath build-aux/config.rpath-
> autopoint
> autopoint: File ABOUT-NLS has been locally modified.
> autopoint: File po/Makefile.in.in has been locally modified.
> autopoint: File po/Rules-quot has been locally modified.
> autopoint: *** Some files have been locally modified. Not overwriting them
> because --force has not been specified. For your convenience, you find the
> local modifications in the file '/tmp/gtuXtRkI/autopoint.diff'.
> autopoint: *** Stop.

That's strange because ABOUT-NLS isn't included in the repository. Are
you sure there wasn't a stray one from a previous checkout? (it is
being ignored as file so git status wouldn't show anything).

> Anyway, with this change, the "make bootstrap" gets much further, but
> eventually fails with:
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: error: cannot find input file: src/libopts/Makefile.in
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 1

If you run "autoreconf -fvi" does it fix the issue? make bootstrap may
be fine for the first bootstrap but after than autoreconf -fvi should
do.