[gnutls-help] gnutls and libtasn1 causing SSL issues with SVN

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu Jun 5 17:38:31 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Ben Mohamoodally
<bennyboysmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Linux machines (SL6.1 to 6.4) on my estate use GnuTLS to securely connect to
> our SVN server.
> However over the last two days I've noticed that an updated version of
> gnutls was installed on a the Linux machines.
> (/var/log/yum.log)
> Jun 04 05:10:12 Updated: gnutls-2.8.5-14.el6_5.x86_64
> The odd thing I noticed was that an additional package was also installed
> for the first time from core-0 repo.
> Jun 04 05:10:11 Updated: libtasn1-2.3-6.el6_5.x86_64
> I am trying to understand the link between the two packages. I understand
> that libtasn1 is a library suite that GnuTLS uses.

That's true.

> Since this update occurred, all Linux servers weren't able to connect to the
> SVN server.
> I was seeing the following error depending on the machine:
> svn: OPTIONS of 'https://svn.xxxxxxx.co.uk/xxxxxx': SSL handshake failed,
> client certificate was requested: SSL socket write failed
> (https://svn.xxxxxx.co.uk)

You most probably need to open a bug in your OS vendor about the
libtasn1 component.

> SSL handshake failed, client certificate was requested: SSL error: GnuTLS
> internal error.

Could you send me the name of the server in private? I'd be interested
to check whether other versions of libtasn1 are affected and whether
there is something there to fix.