[gnutls-help] unexpected GnuTLS error -9 in nsd_gtls.c:530: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

Mike Grant Mike.Grant at helpsystems.com
Thu Jul 30 23:36:24 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm very new to this so please forgive me if this ends up in the wrong section or if I'm asking a dumb question!

I'm trying to implement rsyslog over TLS on CentOS6. I've been using the instructions on page https://nacko.net/securing-your-syslog-server-with-tls-ssl-in-centos-6-rhel-6/ to use self-signed certificates.

I've enabled debug logging and everything appears to startup Ok.

When I connect from another system, I'm not getting any certificate errors on that system. The SSL Handshake appears to go OK.

I'm sending a syslog entry using some homegrown C code. It appears to send Ok but nothing appears in the syslog on the CentOS6 system.

I see in the debug log file the message "unexpected GnuTLS error -9 in nsd_gtls.c:530: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received", followed by "netstream session 0x7f4ff0008da0 from 192.168.2.76 will be closed due to error"

Anybody have an idea what may be causing this?

Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this email immediately.