[gnutls-help] Many "Hello Request" messages

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Fri Nov 6 08:59:40 CET 2015

Hello again,

An update to...

> Using tcpdump, I found an astounding number of Hello Request messages,
> even when I didn't trigger renogotiation. More seriously, I also see
> these messages from client to server, which is not explicitly permitted
> in Section 7.4.1.1 of RFC 5246, unlike the server-sent message.

There is more wrong -- the unexpected Hello Request messages are packed
into a "Multiple Handshake Messages" but the last parts of these are not
unpacked by WireShark.  Clearly, something is wrongfully encoded.

I've wondered if this could be my application, especially because the
Hello Requests are a series of zero bytes; but since the trouble exists
*inside* these Multiple Handshake Messages which do have non-zero codes
and sizes to match the total frame size, I would be surprised to learn that.

I'm attaching the .pcap file, in case anyone wants to see it.

Thanks,
 -Rick