[gnutls-help] ED25519 status in GnuTLS

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:51:17 CET 2016

On Sun, 2016-11-13 at 07:20 +0100, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Nikos,
>
> what's the current status of  EdDSAS (Ed25519 and possibly Ed448) in
> GnuTLS?
>
> draft-irtf-cfrg-eddsa is in RFC Editor queue, that means only
> editorial
> changes
> are going to happen there.
>
> We are using:
>
> gnutls_pubkey_get_pk_ecc_raw
> gnutls_pubkey_import_ecc_raw
> gnutls_pubkey_get_pk_rsa_raw
> gnutls_pubkey_import_rsa_raw
>
> and I would love to have the EdDSA equivalents instead of going down
> for Nettle. (and for DNSSEC we need the Pure variants).

There is some testing code for EdDSA (non-pure variant) on a gitlab
branch. It would most likely need some refresh, however, I haven't
checked how and if the last version changed. The pure variant will need
quite more changes since it cannot be used with
gnutls_privkey_sign_hash(), but only with gnutls_privkey_sign_data()
and we have to introduce this distinction internally.

My plan is to introduce that feature on the next to 3.5.x branch once
3.5.x replaces the stable branch (around march).