[gnutls-help] gnutls 3.6.12

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 4 14:25:49 CET 2020

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 22:36, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>  I've just released gnutls 3.6.11. This is a bug fix release on the
> stable 3.6.x branch.

I've now noticed that CI tests are gone from the tarball that are used
in Debian CI ( https://ci.debian.net/packages/g/gnutls28/unstable/amd64/
)  and Ubuntu Autopkgtest frameworks (
http://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/packages/gnutls28 )

The below commit has removed them:
commit caf49d007c2a91b8340037fb9213df91c0d9d59c
Date:   Fri Jan 3 08:53:55 2020 +0100

    tests/suite: do not include scripts into dist

However, in Debian & Ubuntu these tests are triggered whenever gnutls
or its reverse-dependencies are changed to e.g. prevent a broken
OpenSSL getting released in Debian/Ubuntu if gnutls cannot connect to
it anymore.

In Debian these tests are performed on amd64, in Ubuntu these tests
are performed on amd64/i386/s390x/ppc64el/armhf/arm64 giving a much
wider architecture coverage that the current upstream CI is
performing.

Furthermore this gating is not only done for the Development releases
of Debian/Ubuntu, but for stable release updates & security uploads.

Can you please resurrect these scripts, and re-release 3.6.12.1
tarball with them included?

These tests have caught bugs in raising seclevel to 2 in OpenSSL in
ubuntu, hence I was motivated to improve them further in
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1168

--
Regards,

Dimitri.