[gnutls-help] gnutls 3.6.12

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Feb 5 12:05:29 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 2:26 PM Dimitri John Ledkov <xnox at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 at 22:36, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >  I've just released gnutls 3.6.11. This is a bug fix release on the
> > stable 3.6.x branch.
> >

> I've now noticed that CI tests are gone from the tarball that are used
> in Debian CI ( https://ci.debian.net/packages/g/gnutls28/unstable/amd64/
> )  and Ubuntu Autopkgtest frameworks (
> http://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/packages/gnutls28 )
>
> The below commit has removed them:
> commit caf49d007c2a91b8340037fb9213df91c0d9d59c
> Date:   Fri Jan 3 08:53:55 2020 +0100
>
>     tests/suite: do not include scripts into dist
>
> However, in Debian & Ubuntu these tests are triggered whenever gnutls
> or its reverse-dependencies are changed to e.g. prevent a broken
> OpenSSL getting released in Debian/Ubuntu if gnutls cannot connect to
> it anymore.
>
> In Debian these tests are performed on amd64, in Ubuntu these tests
> are performed on amd64/i386/s390x/ppc64el/armhf/arm64 giving a much
> wider architecture coverage that the current upstream CI is
> performing.
>
> Furthermore this gating is not only done for the Development releases
> of Debian/Ubuntu, but for stable release updates & security uploads.

Oh, sorry for that, I didn't know. These tests were only include by a
mistake, the suite/ directory is not run on tarballs, nor is
guaranteed to. Would it make sense to mirror the "upstream" tests for
these test suites?

> Can you please resurrect these scripts, and re-release 3.6.12.1
> tarball with them included?

I do not think so, as these tests do not run during 'make check' nor
are necessary for gnutls' use. I understand this is inconvenient now,
but I the reason for this change is to make that part of the test
suite a little more robust and fail when some dependency is missing so
we don't miss coverage when something changes in CI unexpectedly. They
are not run nor supposed to be on the released tarball. Are there any
alternative options suitable for you?