[gnutls-help] gnutls_cipher_init Error on armv7 architecture but not on amd64

Nicolas Mora nicolas at babelouest.org
Tue Sep 21 18:02:10 CEST 2021

Hello,

I'm seeing a different behavior between two architectures when using
gnutls_cipher_init with incorrect key size.

If I use gnutls_cipher_init with the gnutls_cipher_algorithm_t
GNUTLS_CIPHER_AES_128_GCM and a key of 24 bits, I have a different
result value if I execute the same code on an AMD64 or an ARMV7
architecture.

On a AMD64 CPU, using the attached sample program, I have the following
output:
$ gcc -o gnutls-cipher-init gnutls-cipher-init.c -lgnutls &&
./gnutls-cipher-init
gnutls_cipher_init OK

On an ARMV7 CPU (Odroid C2 or Raspberry Pi), gnutls_cipher_init returns
an error:
$ gcc -o gnutls-cipher-init gnutls-cipher-init.c -lgnutls &&
./gnutls-cipher-init
gnutls_cipher_init Error: The request is invalid.

Is it a bug? If so, which architecture has the correct answer?

/Nicolas