[gnutls-help] Guile-Gnutls bindings to separate git repo?

Andreas Metzler ametzler at bebt.de
Fri Oct 7 19:26:29 CEST 2022

On 2022-10-07 Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
[...]
> One question is about version numbers.. it should probably have its own
> version number, right?  Would starting at 0.0.0 be a problem for
> packaging, or should we start with 3.7.8 (upstream gnutls version) and
> then count upwards (separate from GnuTLS versions) from there?  I
> prefer starting with 0.0.0 and using semantic versioning from the
> start.

We my Debian hat on: Pretty pretty please use a version number > 3.7.8
to allow a simple upgrade from guile-gnutls 3.7.8 to the new separate
version. (Instead of requiring fiddling and ugliness with empty
transition packages or epoch.)

Restarting version also imho does not make sense: Afaiui the next
guile-gnutls will not be something totaly new but essentially 3.7.8
with a changed README. The version number should reflect that. Or do you
envision a rename, too?

cu Andreas