[gnutls-help] Guile-Gnutls bindings to separate git repo?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Oct 10 11:42:19 CEST 2022

Hi!

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> git clone https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls.git guile-gnutls
>>> cd guile-gnutls/
>>> git-filter-repo --path configure.ac --path .gitignore --path
>>> doc/.gitignore --path README.md --path doc/ --path guile/ --path
>>> Makefile.am  --path m4/guile.m4 --path NEWS
>>> git remote add guile-gnutls git at gitlab.com:jas/guile-gnutls.git
>>> git push -u guile-gnutls --all
>>> git push -u guile-gnutls --tags
>>
>> I wonder if we should omit NEWS as it blurs the history a bit, in which
>> case we’d later add a new NEWS file.
>
> My thinking is that we should include NEWS and then trim down it to
> become a guile-only NEWS file, and having the history of the old big
> NEWS file in guile-gnutls's git repository preserves the older history
> in case our trimming trims too much.  Does this make sense?

Sure, why not.

>> Or move guile/ to the top level, but maybe that can be done in a later
>> commit.
>
> I prefer having the top-level directory to be mostly maintainer stuff
> like text files and build tools, so the source code is more clearly
> separated.

OK, that makes sense to me.

>> That’s a good question.  I would tend to start at 1.0.0 (because it’s
>> stable).  However some distros, such as Debian, have a binary package
>> called ‘guile-gnutls’ that’s currently at 3.7.x, so the version number
>> may cause them trouble.  I don’t know whether we should take that into
>> consideration or leave it up to distros.
>
> They can always do an epoch if necessary.  I think doing a standalone
> guile-gnutls 3.7.8 as quickly as possible and then a 4.0.0 to mark that
> versioning is now independent makes sense.

Yes, that would work too.

> We wouldn't want to couple guile-gnutls versioning with GnuTLS
> versioning too tightly.

Agreed.

> On the other hand, maybe we could match guile-gnutls MAJOR.MINOR to
> the latest upstream GnuTLS MAJOR.MINOR so the API-versioning becomes
> clear?

That contradicts what you wrote just above, no?  In general, I think the
Guile bindings will be able to target several MAJOR.MINOR versions of
GnuTLS, so keeping its version string independent sounds like the way to
go.  WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.