the new layout

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:22:18 +0100

Hi,

the new layout of GPA is not that different from the old one.

It is pretty easy to use for me becuase I know a little bit about
cryptography - but for an average user it is not very usable.  There
far to many options, buttons and whatever -  It should really have
only the bare minimum of functions needed:  generate a key, add and
revoke a user ID, revoke an entire key,  maybe change the passphrase,
sign another key.

The concept of ownertrust is not easy to explain and should be
avoided - it is better to ask the user whether he trusts the owner
of a key to correctly sign other keys at certain places.

  * The keyrings is read entirely at several places; this is too slow
  * The keyring is readin when on request to show the ownertrust -
    but this info is instantly available.
  * Key generation does not work and has *too many* options
       Only these fields are needed:
       o  Create standard key | create sign only key
       o  1024 bit | 1536 bit | 2048 bit
          (but don't tell the bit numbers instead label them:
	   "standard" | "high security" | "paranoid and slow")
	  [Please don't start another holy war on the key sizes]
       o  expire time or date (but only one choice)
       o  username, email, comment
       o  Optional: Add another subkey
  * Replace all passphrase entries bu pup-up dialogs.
  * Replace the key validity fields by: "good key"|"bad key" or
    "know user"|"unknown user"

Probably more things ....

  Werner

p.s.
BernhardH: I know that this design is not your fault but more or
less mine because I have not overviewed the orginal design process.

--
Werner Koch                                              <wk@gnupg.org>
GNU Privacy Guard                                (http://www.gnupg.org)