the new layout

Peter Gerwinski peter@gerwinski.de
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:39:31 +0100

Hi,

Werner Koch wrote:

> the new layout of GPA is not that different from the old one.
>
> It is pretty easy to use for me becuase I know a little bit about
> cryptography - but for an average user it is not very usable. There
> far to many options, buttons and whatever - [...]
The goals in the original design were: 1. Provide the _whole_ functionality of the `gpg' command line tool through a graphical interface 2. Create two (or more) different modes for GPA, so beginners only see a small fraction of all those options Back then, it was decided to stop the development when 1. was almost complete. Later, Jan-Oliver Wagner and Bernhard Herzog took over starting with 2. This is just to explain why all those options are in the program and why I think that they should be kept - hidden behind an "experts only" option.
> * The keyrings is read entirely at several places; this is too slow
Hmm... according to how GPAPA works, it should be read in only once. We will investigate.
> * The keyring is readin when on request to show the ownertrust -
> but this info is instantly available.
We will address this in GPAPA.
> * Key generation does not work and has *too many* options
> Only these fields are needed:
> o Create standard key | create sign only key
Is the second one really needed for beginners?
That's okay for beginners, but as an expert I want to know the size in bits. Later, Peter -- http://home.pages.de/~Peter.Gerwinski/ - G-N-U GmbH: http://www.g-n-u.de Maintainer GNU Pascal - http://home.pages.de/~GNU-Pascal/ - gpc-20010101 GnuPG key fingerprint: 9E7C 0FC4 8A62 5536 1730 A932 9834 65DB 2143 9422 keys: http://www.gerwinski.de/pubkeys/ - AntiSpam: http://spam.abuse.net