List if User IDs

Bernhard Herzog bh@intevation.de
Fri Jan 26 14:00:01 2001

Peter Gerwinski <peter@gerwinski.de> writes:

> Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> > How do I determine the list of user IDs associated with a key? The key
> > struct has a glist member called uids but there doesn't seem to be an
> > API function to access it [...]
> > Furthermore there doesn't seem
> > to be a way to find out which signatures belong to which user id.
>
> Back then we decided that multiple user IDs are an advanced feature,
> so we skipped it. Do we need it now?
Well, even a newbie user usually imports keys from others wich may have several user ids. We should at least display them and offer a way for users to add new ids to their keys (even newbies might have several email addresses, after all). Furthermore, signatures apply to specific user ids. Currently the list of signatures gpapa provides contains duplicates if the key has several user ids and others have signed all of them. For the simple UI it may indeed be better to gloss over this and simply weed the duplicates out, so that it would seem as if all signatures applied to the entire key. Likewise, the key sign dialog probably shouldn't ask whether all ids or only a subset should be signed. I'm not sure about this, though. We'll have to discuss this further.
> > (even worse, a quick grep seems to indicate
> > that it's freed but never initialized!).
>
> It is initialized to NULL by a memset().
Yes. Found that a little later :). However, there's no guarantee that the NULL pointer is actually represented by zero bits, even if that's true on the platforms we currently use. Bernhard -- Intevation GmbH http://intevation.de/ Sketch http://sketch.sourceforge.net/ MapIt! http://mapit.de/