Ägypten web-site update

Michael Häckel Michael@Haeckel.Net
Fri Oct 12 19:33:02 2001

Hi,

I think in general this structure looks well, from the point of view of KMail,
besides this LDAP issue.

I don't know, which KDE developer shall have spread the rumour, that OpenLDAP
would have a bad performance.
I personally just tried to point out, that there appear design limitations, as
soon as someone tries to implement LDAP over SSL or TLS, and the TCPSlaveBase
class can't deal with the network socket directely like that works for all
other network protocols used in KDE. Then it would be neccessary to implement
all SSL related GUI interactions again which would work automatically if
TCPSlaveBase would be used like for all other protocols.

Yes, LDAP over SSL seems to be beyond the Ägypten project, but I wonder what a
reusable component is worth then, if it has a serious design limitation and it
is already officially planned before the project is started, that it might be
rewritten later.

Also I wonder, are really all LDAP queries from KMail supposed to go through
GpgME?

Regards,
Michael Häckel