Various design questions

George Staikos staikos@kde.org
Sat Oct 20 20:55:01 2001

On Saturday 20 October 2001 13:58, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > I know that you have to make this compatible with Mutt, but do you not
> > agree that things like key management should be integrated with the KDE
> > crypto manager? I think it would be unfortunate for users to have to
> > import their keys in two places and manage them twice.
>
> The optimal solution would be that keys are held in one place
> and can be accessed by several "front-ends".
> GpgSM will be this part in the diagramm of
> http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/tech.en.html
>
> AFAIUI Gpgme will be the api which can be used by several programs
> to control the keydatabase.
The only real way to get this to work now is to have the KDE GUI search both key databases. We have to have our own. Not anyone will want to install this project but they may want to use SSL in Konqueror or code signing in Reaktivate. This also raises another question: When a user imports a new key via the GUI, which database does it go into? The GPG one or the KDE one? Or both? Or do we prompt the user? I guess by using the md5 fingerprint it's easy to remove duplicates so that isn't a problem. KMail should use the KDE key manager though, not the GPG one (but the KDE key database can of course merge at runtime with the GPG one). It would be terribly unfortunate for a user to import a key into the KDE database and then not get to use it from within a KDE application. -- George Staikos