GPA `improvements'

Francis J. A. Pinteric linuxdoctor@linux.ca
Mon Nov 11 03:44:01 2002

--=.D?aD4C9'P/+)kx

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:23:33 +0100
Miguel Coca <e970095@zipi.fi.upm.es> wrote:

> However, if you want to help in GPA, you should check out the CVS version
> and work from there (see http://www.gnupg.org/gpa.html for instructions on
> how to get it).
>
> I'm working on what will be version 0.6, and it's a major rewrite of large
> parts of the program. The GPAPA library has been completely replaced by
> GPGME, which is the standard way to call GnuPG from other programs.
>
> A few features are not yet ready in GPGME, so they are not available in
> current CVS, but I don't intend to make a release until they are. See:
>
>         http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gpa-dev/2002-October/000877.html
>
> for my latest status report.
>
> Also, we have moved to use GTK+ 2.0 instead of 1.2.

Ok, I've downloaded your CVS copy and (after much fiddling) got it to compile on my RH 7.3 system. You've already done exactly what I've been trying to do, so I guess I don't need to send in the patches I made to 0.4.3 :-). Well, I only spent about a day on it, and most of that time was getting the "lay of the land" on the code. The new version looks pretty good.

As for compiling the CVS, I had problems. In order to get it to compile (after I ./autogen.sh and ./configure-ed it) I had to define VERSION and PACKAGE_BUGREPORT to some values as well as comment out the inclusion of "stringhelps.h" before it would compile.

Oh, one more thing I had to change. Redhat 7.3 has all the BSD style ushort, ulong, and uchar definitions already defined, so when I compile it, all sorts of warnings are emitted by my compiler (gcc 2.96). I patched the jnlib/types.h as follows to take care of that and all those warnings magically disappeared:

<code>

#ifndef HAVE_USHORT_TYPEDEF
  #undef ushort     /* maybe there is a macro with this name */
  #ifndef __USE_BSD
     typedef unsigned short ushort;
  #endif
  #define HAVE_USHORT_TYPEDEF
#endif

#ifndef HAVE_ULONG_TYPEDEF
  #undef ulong      /* maybe there is a macro with this name */
  #ifndef __USE_BSD
     typedef unsigned long ulong;
  #endif
  #define HAVE_ULONG_TYPEDEF
#endif

</code>

Anyway, after I compiled it, it boots up and looks good. Haven't looked at it in depth, but a cursory look at it uncovers a bug where the signatures are not displayed in the Signatures tab. As I said, I've only just compiled it and I don't know how far you are in the rewrite, if my removal of the `#include "stringhelps.h"' from gpa.h has caused it to go away.

Which begs the question: when you download the cvs, what else besides autogen.sh and configure do you need to do to make it work?

>>>--fja->

--=.D?aD4C9'P/+)kx

--=.D?aD4C9'P/+)kx--